Houston is the 4th largest city in America and also one of the most diverse. More than 90 languages are spoken here. If Houston were an independent nation, it would rank as the world’s 30th largest economy. Yet the need here is overwhelming. Almost 1 million people live below poverty and an estimated 80% of the population are without Christ.
Bayou City Fellowship is committed to using our resources, both spiritual and physical, for the good of the city of Houston. We do that by being mission-focused individuals, being strategic and intentional with the way we live in our own communities and work spaces, and by partnering with other mission organizations in the city.
This is how & where we are serving in the coming weeks! Jump in…
- ENGLISH GATEWAY TRAINING – We are looking to expand our team that serves in our English Gateway program. Training is required: April 27 & May 4 from 6:30pm-9:30pm. For details and interest form, please visit HERE . Please note date/time changes.
- THE LANDING TRAINING – a welcoming drop-in center where those who are human trafficked or are victims of the commercial sex trade can be cared for, nurtured, and encouraged holistically in a respecting environment. To get involved in serving, visit the Training Registration page. Training is Saturday, May 6 from 8:30am – 4:00pm.
- TRUITT – Please join us to serve at the “end of the year luncheon” event on Tuesday, May 16 at 10am – 1pm. This event is to extend encouragement to the teachers and staff at Truitt Middle School for a job well done this year. You are welcome to join us for all of the morning or part of it. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ongoing ways to serve…
- THE LANDING – Skill Builder/Admin Volunteer (Opportunity every Tues- Thurs. Shifts can vary to accommodate schedule).
Volunteers will be responsible in helping with sorting donations, assisting with clients, or helping with any administrative task during drop-in center hours from 10am-4pm. Shifts may vary to accommodate schedules (please e-mail email@example.com), otherwise any volunteers may sign up for either the morning shift (10am-1pm) or the late afternoon shift (1pm-4pm) on the Personal Volunteer Page Link.
ENGLISH GATEWAY (ESL) – The English Gateway program launched on Thursday, September 8 and continues every Thursday (
based on CFISD calendar) from 9:30-11:30am. if you are interested in serving, please contact Stephanie Turman (esl@ bayoucityfellowship.com).
MENTORS – Join our mentor team. There is a HUGE need for student mentorship in Cy-Fair ISD. We are continually aiming to expand our mentor team for our adopted school, Truitt Middle School! Visit Cy-Fair ISD Mentors for next steps. Please contact Christa Freyhof (cfreyhof@
bayoucityfellowship.com) with any questions.
Meet our Cypress Campus City Partners…
- Boys & Girls Country
- A Christ-centered children’s home in Hockley. Our focus is to provide hospitality on a monthly basis to the staff and teaching parents.
Email: Meghan Martin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- LEARN MORE
Care Net envisions a culture where women and men faced with pregnancy decisions are transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ and empowered to choose life for their unborn children and abundant life for their families. Acknowledging that every human life begins at conception and is worthy of protection, Care Net offers compassion, hope, and help to anyone considering abortion by presenting them with realistic alternatives and Christ-centered support through our life-affirming network of pregnancy centers, organizations, and individuals.
- Cy-Fair Helping Hands
- An organization serving the homeless and those in need in Cy-Fair, including students who are homeless within Cy-Fair ISD.
Email: Nora Chunn (email@example.com)
- English Gateway (ESL)
- An outreach ministry of Bayou City Fellowship Church, which focuses on the international community by meeting an immediate need. Through the forming and building of relationships, we hope doors will open for deeper sharing of the Gospel. (We have ongoing and open registration through out the year for new students).
Email: Stephanie Turman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Learn More
- Entrusted (an orphan care initiative)
- Connecting, training, and support for families who are fostering and/or adopting. In addition, we aim to network others who can help meet needs for these families with babysitting, respite care, and supplies.
Email: Lisa Johnson (email@example.com)
- The Landing
- A welcoming drop-in center where those who are human trafficked or are victims of the commercial sex trade can be cared for, nurtured, and encouraged holistically in a respecting environment. There are a variety of ways to serve in this ministry. To get started, plesae click here.
Email: Deborah Gates (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Email: Katie Schleider (email@example.com) for additional anti-trafficking efforts within our church.
- LEARN MORE
- Truitt Middle School
- Truitt Middle School is a Title-One school in Cy-Fair ISD with over 1,400 students and over 150 staff. We regularly provide school supplies, mentoring, teacher appreciation/hospitality, and host outreach events throughout the year.
Email: Debi Mogab (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Refugee Needs in Houston
- Houston resettles more refugees than any other city in the United States, contributing to the fact that we are also the most diverse city in our nation. As a refugee comes into our city, we would love for the Church to be the first responders. There are great organizations in the city that work diligently to help resettle families, but their funding and bandwidth runs short and we need more individuals and families to step in and provide assistance. There are multiple ways to get involved and at different levels.
Houston is known as the one of the largest human trafficking hubs in the US. We have partnered with churches around the city through Freedom Church Alliance to help put an end to human trafficking in our city. If you are interested in being a part of our Task Force, then please email email@example.com. We also currently have a human trafficking awareness class that will take place every Wednesday in May. You can [click here] for more information.
- Cornerstone Family Ministries, Spring Branch
- Cornerstone Family Ministries is a multi-cultural, faith-based, non-profit organization located in the heart of the Spring Branch community. CFM’s ministry-owned buses bring children and parents from 15 apartment complexes to Thursday Family Night to participate in a variety of classes including ESL, GED, and parenting courses. Bayou City Fellowship specifically partners with CFM to serve our community through Bayou City Nights- quarterly church-wide city outreach. There is opportunity to serve weekly through through Bus Ministry and Thursday Family Nights. For more information in how to be involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is also information available weekly in the foyer at Houston Christian High School at the Global and City Outreach table.
- Gracewood, Spring Branch
- Gracewood is a nonprofit residential program for mothers and their children fleeing homelessness and other crisis situations that threaten safety and stability of the family. There are two campuses: The Spring Branch Campus and The Wanda Lane Campus.There are multiple opportunities to serve these women through preparing meals, providing childcare, on-going maintenance projects, and developing relationships with these moms and their kids. We are always looking for volunteers that can help just one time or others that want to consistently serve in a variety of contexts. You can sign-up to serve here or you can email email@example.com. There is also information available weekly in the foyer at Houston Christian High School at the Global and City Outreach table.